Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Visible Leadership

How much of a priority is it for Church leaders to be visible? At a Church breakfast a few years ago, I stood up and said: "We have more than half our Church leadership here this morning!" Then, before I could check myself: "That's amazing!" This ignited laughter all around the hall. I said: "That was a slip of the tongue!" Which brought even more laughter. OBSERVATION: In my ministr(ies), by and large, just two things have been mandatory for Church leaders: • to attend all Sunday services, and • to attend all leadership meetings (or give at least 24 hours' notice). Beyond that, Church members just seemed happy to see them. However, at the close of my last ministry, members requested that leaders should be more visible, in a number if ways: in Church groups, Church events, and pastoral visitation. This was not implemented in my time.

No comments: