Thursday, January 5, 2017

Conflict Of Etiquette

On my latest visit to rural South Africa, something that impressed itself upon me is that there is a great conflict of etiquette in our land – one could say in some cases, of morality – which has not run its course. I saw this as people came together for traditional reunions – of various families and clans, and different generations. Here are some of the areas of a conflict of etiquette: greetings, dress, table manners, hygiene, waste disposal, songs, noise, negotiations, obedience, sharing, sexuality, marriage – and so much more. OBSERVATION: It seems to me that the interim solution, in South Africa, is a great mutual tolerance, and often fearless openness with one another – however this has its downsides, among them confusion. This conflict seems to me to be far greater among those of (part) African origins than among those of European origins, as diverse as those of European stock may be.

No comments: