Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Eluding Fraud

A finding that the Church auditor was bogus, under my city ministry, led to one or two more checks. Here's something that did not check out. At the close of my ministry, the Church paid me two cheques, in excess of R40 000. I sensed that something was wrong at the time, and without much focus, asked attorneys to return them. This month it emerged that the cheques were “fraudulent”, according to the Standard Bank. They were signed by the wrong people. Puzzlingly, several people had to be involved in this at once. OBSERVATION: If I had not returned the cheques, I might have been suspected of fraud myself. I have called for a review of all transactions at that time. So has the Legal Director of the Auditors’ Board, who has said it is (quote) “the first thing you need to do”.

No comments: