Thursday, June 8, 2017

‘We Never Fought’

I had a counselling session with a young husband and wife. She said her husband had rejected her -- even though they had never fought. This, she said, she couldn’t understand. But the story turned a corner when her husband had a word. She had viciously attacked him, he said, again and again, and he had the scars to prove it. He pulled up his sleeves, pulled up his shirt, and turned around and showed me the back of his neck. The worst scars were on the back of his neck. “She did it,” he said. I said to her: “I thought you never fought!” She said: “What I mean is, as a rule we never fought! Besides, his injuries aren't that fresh.” I said: “I never knew you had such a temper!” She peeped at me from behind her fingers, and smiled. OBSERVATION: That's one good reason to have both parties in front of you when you counsel.

No comments: