Sunday, July 16, 2017

Vacations And Sabbaticals

The prescription for sabbatical in the Bible is (averaged out) almost two months a year. When I received a call to the city from suburbia, I had one month's holiday a year, and three months' (additional) furlough every five years -- called "vacation" and "sabbatical" respectively in the USA. That makes (averaged out) almost two months a year. But this kicked in only when my suburban Church understood that a minister cannot do with less. So when I was called to city ministry, I said that I would consider the call if they could match my one month's annual holiday and three months' furlough every five years. They were happy to do so. However, in time, both the Church and I found that the three months' furlough every five years was awkward. So we rearranged it like this: a month off in summer, and a month off in winter, with no additional furlough. Since I needed to prepare for every return to the Church from holiday or furlough, this was two months less a week or so. OBSERVATION: I also had four Sundays a year off preaching. But this did not mean time off. I shifted my emphasis in those weeks. This was beneficial to all, in a number of ways.

No comments: