Sunday, July 30, 2017

Visit To My Old Church

I attended my old city Church this morning. Usually I have slipped out before the benediction. Today I stayed until the final Amen. At that moment, I found myself in high demand -- "mobbed" would not be too far off -- first inside the Church, then outside. On the pavement / sidewalk outside, people called me back twice -- they didn't want their friends inside to miss me. OBSERVATION: The Church is clearly in "maintenance mode", as one says of Churches. Attendance is modest -- more modest than I knew in any season in my time. It looks as though most of the ministries of my day have closed. At the close of my ministry, the Church announced an "exciting new chapter" on the Internet. Some said that I was holding the Church back. It went into decline.

No comments: