Tuesday, September 5, 2017

No Rubber Stamp

In the Congregational Church, the Church Meeting (the members) hold all authority in the Church. Someone recently wrote to me that their own Congregational Church had turned the Church Meeting into a mere advisory session (advising the members), a mere rubber stamp, anxiously seeking to adjourn without any real congregational input. I myself believe that the members must be fully incorporated into the decision-making, fully trusted, fully empowered. Personally, I am distressed when I hear that a Church Meeting diminished or depreciated the precious members. OBSERVATION: There is a spiritual basis for this. Classic Congregationalism holds that Christ speaks through the assembled members. Also, that the Spirit moves through the whole Body.

No comments: