I got to thinking this week what, with hindsight, would have prevented some of the more serious problems of ministry. I have not thought about this too deeply, so this is just a few things that first come to mind. They may be universally applicable.
• First intuitions about people may well be more correct than anything
• Diligently check every new member's track record
• Do not trust others with matters touching your own reputation
• Be more businesslike and detached about constitutional requirements
• Plan on the possibility that Satan himself is in your next meeting
• Deal more explicitly with deep spiritual issues such as race and politics
• Be well integrated with a fellowship or denomination, not merely a fraternal