Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Memorable Sea Journeys

A few months ago, I blogged about the most memorable airports I landed at, or took off from. This one's about the most memorable boat journeys.
• First prize goes to a charter boat I intended to take with others from Tarawa to Abaiang, across the Pacific. The boat sank at launch, in Bairiki.
• Second prize goes to the ferry which I took from Abaiang to Tarawa, which was fully laden with hog-tied ... hogs -- which stank. It was hugely delayed through a fuel crisis. En route, both motors cut out, though not at the same time -- being swamped by heavy seas.
• Third prize goes to this charter boat (pictured) which I took from Tarawa to Maiana, also across the Pacific. The boat momentarily got lost on the heaving ocean.
• The mission ship the John Williams VII was memorable in various ways. Among other things, this had a notorious roll, such that water sometimes spilled into the dining room above the cabin portholes.
• And I remember clearly, as a child of four years, experiencing a massive sandstorm which hit the Canberra mail ship in the Middle East.

No comments: