Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Let Them Eat Cake

It may be apocryphal: when the French complained that they had no bread, Marie Antoinette said: "Let them eat cake." This week I wrote to the organisers of a major international writing competition based in the USA, about "the high cost of entry from Africa" (I did not have any intention of entering myself). I was ambiguous about it -- however they replied: "If you’ve seen something online that says Africa has a higher price, please send it to me so I can take a look." OBSERVATION: This is what I meant. I live in one of the richest countries in Africa. Annual average income is $5,480. In the USA, it is $56,810. The entry fee is $99 worldwide. In South Africa, therefore, the actual entry fee is on average $1,026. Would it be fair to say that? Or take Zambia. In Zambia the actual entry fee on average is $4,135. Here are the income stats: https://www.worlddata.info/average-income.php

No comments: