Thursday, March 22, 2018

Police Progress (Not)

A month ago, I put an affidavit on this blog, as a prelude to laying charges. Based on earlier experience with the police, I decided to make the affidavit public first -- in the interests of safety, and to ensure that police process was not continually subverted as before. This is what has unfolded in two weeks, beginning with attempts to open a case:
• I went to Woodstock police, who sought to subvert process. I left.
• I went to Camps Bay police, who similarly sought to subvert process. I left.
• Police Management now gave me accurate and helpful advice. Yes, they said, these precincts had sought to subvert process. They intervened.
• I went to Cape Town police, but again they sought to subvert process. I left. This seems to me to have been co-ordinated across precincts.
• Woodstock police now apologised to me. I opened a case -- and the officer who took my statement was competent. He said this may fall under "serious crime", and cautioned me that critical information may disappear. He specially made me copies.
• But now the registration of the case did not go according to police promises. I went over to Woodstock police to protest, and was assaulted by a commander.
• The commander apologised, and the case was registered.
• A high-ranking official sent me a message. They had their eye on this, too.
• But there seemed to me to be signs that the news had travelled to suspects.
• The case was now transferred to Cape Town police, without informing me -- the same precinct which blocked critical information on raids and life-threatening sabotage. The evidence (audio) is on this blog.
• Cape Town police now failed to appoint an investigator, alternatively failed to inform me. Police Management today condemned this: "No! No!" They pledged to intervene.
• For the duration, I received several anonymous calls, not traced.
Rebel Wilson said on the BBC this week (in an Australian case): "It’s about holding a company to account when it’s done the wrong thing." About the above, my feel is this: the police have a big problem, and it shows. OBSERVATION: I was explicit, too, when police took my statement: please think twice before this is handled by the precincts where offences allegedly took place. Now it has been handed to a precinct where the chief was involved. In principle, this is not safe, or wise.

POSTSCRIPT: Five days later, I have no evidence of a transfer of the case. Police Management failed to obtain the name of the investigator.

No comments: