Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Death Tabu

I have written before about the growing tendency of death to be tabu. Among other things, this results in traumatic denial at the death bed, and explosive emotions surrounding every word and deed thereafter. I consider that it is no longer safe for a minister to deal with death. Now the BBC has published a video: Dying is not as bad as you think. Well often it is, and worse. I disagree with the video there, having visited more than 100 deathbeds myself. The video has disguised messages, too, if one reads between the lines. However, I very much agree that the tabu surrounding death today -- I should add, in the West -- is doing a lot of harm. It is the first time I have found this so clearly addressed, in this video, and for this reason the video is noteworthy.

No comments: