Saturday, May 26, 2018

No Trappings

I believe there is a lot of truth in the view that a Church literally needs nothing but the gospel -- no drums, no banners, no robes, no advertising, no heating, not even pews -- in fact, not even a place to worship. A Church consultant once said to me: "Think back through Church history. At various stages, the Church needed none of these things -- and it was thriving." The question then is: "What is the gospel?" OBSERVATION: What made a special impression on me was a visit to Canterbury Cathedral. The guide said that I was very lucky to be there that day -- which was a cold winter's day, with snow piled outside -- because I would see the cathedral in its original state. It had been cleared out. There was nothing there. Yet the cathedral, apparently, was crowded out in days of old, as the congregation stood through the whole service.

No comments: