Sunday, June 17, 2018

Less Than 100% Agreement

I was invited recently to write the foreword for a Christian book. It was a quality production -- I was impressed. However the author took a position -- a minority position -- on one conspicuous piece of doctrine that I did not endorse. That had me wondering for a while what to do. Some would write a foreword only where they completely agreed with the author. I decided to do the foreword anyway, yet gently invited readers to think on the chapter in question. OBSERVATION: In the Congregational Church, one has a related issue of sorts. If members minister -- which is a cornerstone of Congregationalism -- does one need to vet it all first? I think no. In my experience, it all balances out. In the fewest of cases one may need to intervene.

No comments: