Sunday, September 2, 2018

Total Failure (Not)

I take it very seriously when my designs don't work. This month I was surprised by the total failure of my magnetometer in its primary purpose: searching soil and sand. I found the solution by chance. I decided to repeat my tests -- but on a whim, grabbed a prototype with just one-twentieth of the sensitivity. To my surprise, this had none of the problems of my super prototype, and was capable of finding nails in flotsam. OBSERVATION: So my problem was and is obvious. While my super prototype was literally capable of responding to events in space, a beach overwhelmed its sensitivities. My challenge now is to determine at just what point my magnetometer finds a beach overwhelming. I am close to the answer: it is somewhere between full sensitivity and one-twentieth.

No comments: