Saturday, December 1, 2018

Commending Choirs

Continuing from yesterday's post about choirs -- these, I think, have been important  to my ministr(ies). Church choirs, in my view, need not be the typical Church choir, but are drawn from the Church that one has, and reflect the type of choral music the Church loves. Choirs bring glory to God, they make Bible truths memorable, they "lift" the worship, and they forge many friendships -- one particular choir morphed into a large Sunday luncheon. Above all, they bring spiritual life. I have encouraged all choirs not merely to perform hymns or songs, but to make their performances an occasion for personal, spiritual ministry to the Church. This has often been heartwarming. I myself remember some of the spiritual input many years later. This is a choir's greatest "use", so to speak: ministry by members, which is central to Congregationalism.

No comments: