Sunday, April 21, 2019

Operating Systems: Impressions

An occasional distraction -- like a coffee break -- for me is testing computer operating systems, just for fun. There are nine I have tested this year. It typically takes me 1½ minutes' pause to get a new operating system installed from scratch -- the rest of the process is automatic. My impressions:
• Elementary Linux ... looks good, but the menu died
• Haiku ... fast, but (with reason) not officially released
• Kali Linux ... first class, though focused on hacking
• Lubuntu Linux ... amazingly fast, but I couldn't make it persist
• MX Linux ... the most popular Linux, but I couldn't get it to work at all
• Pearl Linux ... looks very nice, but the word processor died
• Pop Linux ... impressive, if one is open to something quite different
• Puppy Linux ... works well, but I was unable to connect
• Xubuntu Linux ... I use this every day, but it takes strain when burdened
OBSERVATION: I tested these on a small Acer ES 11 computer. Persistence is important if one wants to run an operating system repeatedly alongside one's usual system (note that only a few of the above are designed for persistence). Just the Haiku operating system is not Linux.

No comments: