Sunday, April 14, 2019

Private Services

About once a year in ministry, I have been called upon to conduct private services for people -- just me and them. Here are two examples.
• A member asked me for a service in memory of her husband. I said to her at the altar: “Tell me something about him.” She said: “He said when I’m gone, I want you to be here every Sunday, and sit where we sit now.”
• A young woman had committed adultery. She wanted to rededicate her life to God. She came to the altar, and dissolved in tears, and her face was smeared with makeup. I asked her to renew her vows, and said a prayer for her.
OBSERVATION: Some services, though, are intended for the whole congregation -- for example, christenings. Unless there are extraordinary circumstances, these are held in in a Sunday service.

No comments: