Wednesday, March 4, 2020

A Deacon's Lapse

I ministered in a congregation which included both rich and poor, and sometimes their lives intersected. One of our members worked in the home of one of our deacons -- and reported unbefitting behaviour (in rich detail). Before I had a chance to really contemplate the fact, several members were in revolt. I asked to see our deacon. I said: “Are you aware that this is incompatible with being a deacon?” He said that he did not have a good conscience about it, and resigned. I accepted -- but urged him to stay with the Church -- the matter would remain confidential, and we would work it out pastorally. Then we had revolt from another quarter. Why had I cut off a competent man in judgement? We needed precisely such people. I shared more or less what I share in this post -- and it blew over. The deacon left us.

No comments: