Thursday, March 5, 2020

Mute Volunteer

It is my policy to rope in newcomers in Church on the turn -- if I discern that this is appropriate. For instance, for testimonies, assisting Church groups, saying prayers, and so on. In an urban environment, I think it is a very helpful policy, for integrating and unifying people, and for creating a Church which reflects the diversity of the surrounding community. I met one couple for the first time in my vestry, refugees from Central Africa. She couldn’t speak a word of English. Her husband, who could speak English, said she had been very faithful in the Church in Central Africa, and would like to volunteer her help. I said she could assist our Youth leaders -- they needed some help. Moses couldn’t speak, I said, and God could use him. She didn't understand. Her husband translated. Her face lit up, and she seemed delighted. Ultimately she roped in two of her sons as helpers in the Youth.

No comments: