Sunday, August 2, 2020

Ministerial Expertise

I have come across the attitude, throughout ministry, "Ministry is a piece of cake," or "Any competent person can run a Church." In fact it takes very good ministerial training -- by which I mean to say that ministerial training will often not be adequate. It is often said, too, that ministry requires God's preparation long before training. And then, with the best training, God must be present in ministry. OBSERVATION: At the same time, it is probably easier to succeed at suburban or country ministry than urban ministry, which is said to be a critical art. I know few ministers who have really made urban ministry work. I would like to think that I am one who did. I saw growing congregations and growing finances over 20+ years -- in fact the strongest finances in my final (financial) year.

No comments: