Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Confidentiality In Ministry

There are various approaches to confidentiality among Protestant ministers. It is a controversial subject. In my early years in ministry, I maintained total confidentiality -- even my (late) wife didn't receive confidential information. In fact, sometimes people assumed that she knew things where she didn't. However, this changed. I now include my wife -- for the sake of personal intimacy. On the other hand, some ministers will reveal confidential information -- in particular where they feel that this is for the cleansing of the Church, or should be reported to the authorities. OBSERVATION: Today, I make some exceptions, fairly much on similar lines:
• Where something is beginning to affect the whole Church
• Where one is dealing with gossip or rumour 
• Where the issue affects my own self
• Where a crime should be reported (which is not every case)
• Where an issue appears to be in the public interest

No comments: