Sunday, September 27, 2020

Ministry Under Lockdown

South Africa has had one of the strictest lockdowns in the world. At one time, there were even troops in the streets. I am really impressed by how the Churches adapted to it. There were generally two big challenges: a steep drop in income, and a loss of contact with congregants. I was unable to visit my own Church -- and when the Chairman of the Board died, could not be there. After initial contact with his family, I could not even get through by telephone. However, there is one thing I would have done which I did not see much under lockdown. I would have used the time to minister individually to members -- all members. One could (somehow) minister to all of the core individually in one or two weeks, and to the "outskirts" in another one or two weeks, and the lockdown was a lot longer than that.

No comments: