Sunday, October 18, 2020

Electronics Worst-Case

I had an electronics (almost) worst-case scenario yesterday. Typically, I build a design step by step, and carefully test each step as I go. Then I modify the design. Then I duplicate the whole of it. Before the duplication, my trials went very well. Without really trying too hard, one and the same circuit detected:
a crimp bottle-top at 100 mm
a one-inch magnetic ball at 150 mm
a hand approaching at 200 mm, and 
moving shadows at many metres
Then my circuit failed and my power-pack went up in smoke. OBSERVATION: My absolute worst-case was when I powered up a high-voltage circuit, and a flash shot across my (expensive) breadboard, killing my (more expensive) oscillloscope. Happily, the design was finally published. It was the World Lamp.

No comments: