Thursday, November 26, 2020

Unfavourable File

In leadership studies, they said that 10% of a congregation will oppose the minister, no matter who he | she is or does. In earlier ministry, I couldn't understand how some troublemakers could get others so stoked up, where there simply wasn't a problem. What was going on? Here's what lay behind one situation. A woman -- a wife -- came to see me. She showed me a folder, containing (I estimate) a thousand pages. She said, "My husband keeps this file," and she opened it and showed me. It seemed like everything I had ever produced: reports, sermons, letters, newspaper clippings, and so on -- and anything with my name on it, or my involvement in it -- and not all of it authentic. She showed me how he had highlighted words and phrases all over the place. There were notes, and he had twisted the meanings of things. She said that he showed this file around. OBSERVATION: She never explained it to me. She just showed me. (I think that 10% is too high).

No comments: