Sunday, November 22, 2020

Updating a Computer

Wife E's computer software finally prevented her from using the Internet -- it was too far out of date. I sought to install the latest version of Ubuntu on a six-year-old machine. This was fine, but for the fact that critical things didn't work, among them Chrome. I went further upstream, and installed Debian. This was much like Ubuntu, but with fewer possibilities. Finally I used LXLE and added a dock for ease of use. LXLE has never disappointed. OBSERVATION: This is LXLE running on my own desktop with a dock. It permits a lot of customisation. 

2 comments:

Steve Hayes said...

I have similar problems. I keep getting messages saying "Your current browser is not supported please update it". But update it to what? Bloatware that keeps swapping to disk?

Thomas O. Scarborough said...

I updated the computer with Linux LXLE. You download the operating system image https://www.lxle.net/download/ It's free, as Linux mostly is. I'll assume you use Windows. So you download an installer, say https://rufus.ie and send the Linux LXLE image 'persistent live' to a USB. That leaves your own computer completely intact, and the USB acts like your primary drive in every way. You may need to modify your BIOS to boot from USB. Then you have an up-to-date system. Sometimes booting from USB can be slow, but there may be little difference.