Friday, January 15, 2021

Presbyterian Refusal

I have been seeking to lodge a complaint with the Presbyterian Church -- surrounding the Moderator, mainly. But without success. Most recently, a Secretary of the Presbyterian Church informed me that "the session and yourself could not resolve the matter". I knew absolutely nothing of this. So I filed a request for a copy of the minutes, in terms of the Information Act. This week, the Presbyterian Church refused my request (§58 of the Act), without reason. OBSERVATION: The position of our Constitional Court is that "both private and public bodies are now under a duty to provide access to a requested record", unless a refusal is specifically permitted or required. My quest continues. In terms of the Presbyterian constitution, the procedure is simple (see Odyssey of a Complaint).

POSTSCRIPT:  Churches may deal with complaints secretly -- so secretly that the people who lodged them may know nothing about it -- or everyone is secretly informed, internally, that the matter is resolved. I do not say that this is the case here, but this is one reason why I make the status of a complaint known.

No comments: