Friday, March 19, 2021

Deceitful Humans

In my youth in the 1960s, there was a massive die-off of birds in the Pacific. Worse, it happened in a national park. They found that the birds had bits of plastic in their stomachs. Yesterday I went to a grocery store. They are very publicly committed to "less plastic, less plastic, less plastic". I bought 28 items. I counted the separate pieces of plastic. Salami: plastic tray and plastic top = 2 pieces. Coca Cola. Plastic bottle, plastic top, and wrap-around plastic label -- 3 pieces. I counted more than 50 pieces of plastic in my purchase. Just 1 out of 28 items contained no plastic: bread in a paper bag. They had plastic displays, too, with uncountable plastic components inside, plastic terminals, plastic cameras, plastic baskets, plastic dispensers, plastic covers, plastic ... everywhere. OBSERVATION: The point is not this particular grocery store. The point is that we humans are very deceitful -- and we deceive our own selves. If this were not so, we would have caught on in the 1960s.

No comments: