Tuesday, August 2, 2022

Awful Roads

I came upon this old post today. I did some grand tours in the three-wheeled vehicles I drove. I think I was commenting here on roads between Vlamink Vlei and St. Helena Bay, about 100 miles north of Cape Town:
 
"On my present tour, I hit some of the most dreadful roads I have yet encountered. Among other things, the violence smashed my seat belt buckle, and I hurt my head when I hit the roof. The ignition was damaged when my knee hit it, and the windscreen cracked when the vehicle's frame twisted. The camera in my shirt pocket was damaged for the simple reason that it wasn't shock proof. Most of this was achieved driving at less than 30 km/h (20 mph). 
 
OBSERVATION: Never trust a Southern African road map! If it shows an A-grade road, one might have confused the A with an I for Impassable. Also, I have found that references to accommodation might merely serve to embellish the map. Further, a place marked as a settlement might be a town, and vice versa."

No comments: