Friday, July 26, 2024

Difficult to Read

We have an Act of Parliament -- the Consumer Protection Act -- which in Section 22 requires that companies use "plain English". Yesterday a company asked me to fill in / out some forms -- which I sent straight to computer analysis. They scored, in part, well below 50 on the Flesch scale, which means very difficult to read. In fact I am not sure that I could understand those forms myself: "Funds may borrow to pay client disinvestments and may engage in scrip lending," and so on. Sign "I agree." That kind of writing does not comply with Section 22's "plain English". OBSERVATION: With very-difficult-to-read forms, one may well exclude the simple folks from aspects of the economy. In fact one wonders how many people who sign "I agree" really know what they are agreeing to. How many dishonest forms is the company sitting with?

No comments: