Monday, August 24, 2026

Pesky Robots

The times they are a-changin. My son wrote to me from Europe, saying that he was "nearly assaulted" by a robot today. A week ago, a friend wrote to me from the USA,

"In our grocery store three weeks ago, a robot appeared. It scoots around doing inventory, wearing little signs around its neck with things like 'I'm Simbe. I'm taking inventory.' I complained to management, saying I was deeply unhappy about how they were taking jobs away from humans ..."

My friend was also worried about what the robot was doing. Who says it was only taking inventory? OBSERVATION: I had an experience with furious little robots last year, when I arrived at Zürich airport in the early morning, and laid me down to rest. Next thing, there were cleaner robots everywhere! Thankfully, robots seem to be a long way off in Africa. We still have friendly, dawdling humans here.

No comments: