Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Jumping Spider

.
Every now and then, I check whether any of my electronic designs has gone into production (I mostly sell all rights to a design, so have no rights over production). If you click on Electronics at the top left of this page, you'll see some examples of designs that have gone into production. Anyway, one of my designs, unexpectedly, wasn't picked up by manufacturers. This was an electronic version of the famous Jumping Spider (EPE 2007), which undoubtedly worked better than the original pump version. OBSERVATION: I didn't need to think long to figure out what the problem might be. My Jumping Spider required fairly high power down thin wires to deliver the punch to a coil that would make it jump (see photo sequence). Son M. commented that, as children chewed through the wire, it would soon become known as Jumping Child! For this to be commercially viable, the power would need to be self-contained -- or largely self-contained (say trickle-fed from an external power source).

No comments: