Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Death And Culture

I keep in touch with people of vastly different backgrounds. Some have the custom of putting up photos of their dead on the Internet. This seems fairly straightforward to me as a minister, since I have been around many dead people. But this week there was a photo which distressed me -- a beautiful young mother put up a photo of herself, holding her dead child in her arms. "Sorry," she wrote to the world. The child had died. OBSERVATION: Western culture is very uncomfortable with death, and situations of death can be explosive. For others, it is a part of life. This has a direct bearing on ministry.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There is a charity Initiative in England called 'Remember My Baby'. Photographers donate their services to do family shoots at hospital when a baby is stillborn or died during or just after birth.