Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Loose Ends

I met for doughnuts and coffee today with another minister. What happened with your pension? he asked. Which is many years of missing pension. The story, I said, is this. My attorneys said they needed vital information. If I could obtain this, the matter should fall in my favour. I did obtain the information. Yes, they said, we had what was required. But the sum was so large, the matter would go to the city's High Court. A big part of a win would be lost to High Court expenses. He duly sent a letter to the Church which held and holds the pension. OBSERVATION: One should be able to discuss such things in good faith, said my clerical friend. Absolutely, I said.

2 comments:

Steve Hayes said...

Ah yea, lawyers. I was once persuaded to join with some other people in appealing against our deportation from Namibia. The lawteys said they were so disgusted with the injustice of it that they would handle the appeal free of charge. They handled it incompetently and we lost and had to pay costs of the Administrator in Executive Committee. Someone raised the money for that, handed it over to our lawyers, who pocketed it as their fee. Next I knew the deputy sheriff was wanting to attach my goods, because all my fellow deportees were out of the country and I had to pay their share as well. It was later settled, but the perfidy of the lawyers is not forgotten.

Thomas O. Scarborough said...

Through the years, I have become less trusting of generous souls who do great acts for nothing. Which is not to say that many of them are not genuine. One just needs to be aware of the potential pitfalls. A first question is motive. Why are they doing it? For whom? In your case, for justice? for you? for God? for themselves? for the future? for the state? ...