Friday, June 28, 2024

Discrimination as a Minister

As a follow-on from yesterday, have I experienced discrimination as a minister? The answer is yes, occasionally, and sometimes quite seriously. However, there are various kinds of discrimination -- and when it happens, it isn't always as one had imagined. Occasionally I was mocked for being a minister, occasionally services were withheld because I was a Reverend, occasionally I was insulted, I suffered concussion when someone of another faith hit me over the head ... I'm not sure whether one would call that discrimination! And a few times, "The God Delusion" morphed into "The Thomas Delusion". The hardest was discrimination from within, by which I mean opposition to things which are stock standard "acts of ministry" within the Church -- say, the invitation to Holy Communion, or opening a meeting with worship -- as well as stock standard items of polity. I think one might call that discrimination. OBSERVATION: But appreciation there is aplenty -- far more than any discrimination. Perhaps, in Congregational ministry, singling out the minister might be seen as discrimination, where in fact there was a decision of equals. If I scold one dog for eating the cake when there were ten ...

No comments: