Saturday, August 10, 2013

Watt Around The Clock

If you have a wood cabin, you need an alarm. If you need an alarm, you need power. But our country plot doesn't have power. So yesterday I designed a 1 Watt solar system -- that is, it will deliver 1W around the clock. This is not much, but it is enough to power an alarm,  to charge mobile devices, to light up a room at night, and so on. My 1 Watt system cost R400 ($40) today. A 5W pre-built system costs R1,400 ($140). To power a whole house "as normal", however, would run into hundreds of thousands of rands. OBSERVATION: If my design proves itself, it should pay for itself with the sale of the copyright.
.
NOTE: I since modified the design so that one can parallel modules, adding 1W each time -- as one can afford. And I proved in the interim that 1 Watt will potentially power light mains devices.

No comments: