Thursday, August 14, 2014

Gear Ratios

This one's about the all-important subject of gear ratios. Here's the third three-wheeler I have owned (before I turned it red). But it was only with the second such vehicle that I understood the apparent madness of Indian gear ratios. For example, a Chevy Corvette has a first gear ratio of about 3.0. A VW Beetle about 3.6. A BMW Mini about 3.3. By way of contrast, my present Mahindra Alfa has a first gear ratio of 31.5! This translates to very slow speed in first gear, and gives it tremendous pull. But that's not all that it's about. It was when I hit an extraordinarily bad road (the R27 to Nooitgedacht) that I understood. That extreme gear ratio means that one can crawl over corrugations, rock outcrops, and potholes with tight control.

No comments: