Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Pulpit Shocks

I was just about to step into the pulpit one Sunday (that is, mere seconds before I did) when the Church treasurer said to me: "I don't know where your next salary is coming from!" As it happens, that salary, and hundreds thereafter, were paid on time, every time. However, the point of this post lies elsewhere. That Sunday stays in my mind because on that day I decided how to deal with shocks before entering the pulpit. Such shocks are not uncommon. It was (I think) Charles Spurgeon who said that this is a classic spiritual trial in ministry. I decided that I should keep in mind that I was bringing a spiritual blessing to others, and I should be prepared before doing so for any shock under the sun. I don't think a shock has affected me since.

No comments: