Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Opportunist Style

Some Churches turn over fast, particularly in urban settings. They don't have to, but I believe they are doing it right if they do (that would be the subject of another post). With this in mind, I myself developed an "opportunist" style of effecting the Biblical priesthood of believers (ministry by all). Here's an example. I had a membership interview, and I asked the candidate, a young woman: "Do you have any special gift?" She said decisively: "Singing!" I said: "What kind of singing?" She said: "Choir singing -- or if there aren't enough people, a quartet." I said, "Solo?" She said: "Yes, that too." I said: "Would you sing on Sunday? It would introduce you to the Church." She said: "Yes. I could sing in Chichewa. I could sing in English." I said: "Both?" "Yes," she said. And so it came to be. OBSERVATION: I met her recently, and she was excited to see me. Such things forge bonds, too.

No comments: