Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Asking For Raises (Not)

Many ministers struggle as to whether they should ask for a raise. Or, more usually, I think, whether they should state their basic needs. My own approach has been not to ask, even if sacrifices must be made. Therefore I have not asked. In fact I have twice asked for reductions in my salary (once granted, once refused), but that is another story. I will ask for something, however, if it has been promised to me. OBSERVATION: Not that modesty in the area of one's salary is any help to a minister. People come with daft accusations anyway. Gossip often targets this area of a minister's life. Under the best of circumstances, I think that a minister would have a designated advocate in such matters. Many denominations have ground rules about ministers' salaries.

No comments: