Friday, July 31, 2015

High Member Participation

Throughout my ministr(ies), I have fostered high member participation. I think it is one of the secrets of a Church's success. If one sees a thriving Church -- even a viable Church -- one may assume, even if one does not see it, high member participation. Thus every year as a minister, I have publicly acknowledged -- not staff, not office-bearers, but faithful helpers in the Church, giving each one a gift, lovingly prepared in fact by more helpers. Typically, a full one-third of the Church membership have received acknowledgement as "faithful helpers" each year -- and this they were. OBSERVATION: This kind of participation requires unceasing attention by a minister above all. And I think that there is something else. In my ministr(ies), helpers have not just been helpers, but helpers who know and love the Lord. That makes a crucial difference.

No comments: