Thursday, July 9, 2015

Magnetometer (Metal Detector)

Today I happened upon an electronics article of mine which, curiously, I never read before: a (click here) Magnetometer. I really enjoyed this one. I demonstrated it for the editor of EPE magazine at the time -- it was eventually published in Elektor. It is described as "incredibly sensitive", which it is. For instance, it will pick up a train moving at two kilometres' distance. But the potential applications are many more (described in the article). OBSERVATION: The following should be easy, but I never got round to trying it out. Build two of these circuits, to cancel out the effects of the earth's magnetic field, and carry them over the shoulder, sensors near the ground, using the difference signal to detect metal. You wouldn't necessarily need additional electronics (although that would help). The two displays could simply be compared.

No comments: