Friday, September 11, 2015

Refreshed From Fatigue

I wrote this post several years ago. It describes the reality of fatigue in ministry: "I had last week off. I had my first new counselling session this Tuesday. The session was tense, with a lot at stake -- but I felt alert, relaxed, clear-sighted, and fully capable of taking the strain. Compare that to the last session before my break. I felt aversion to the strain, I kept losing the thread completely, I felt that the big picture was clouded. OBSERVATION: Fatigue in ministry is very real. These two counselling sessions certainly show the contrast. But even the 'weary' session was not lost. The counselee came back a few days later, took my hand with both hands, and said: 'You were a very great encouragement to me.' As I see it, God works despite the minister in such things."

No comments: