Thursday, September 10, 2015

Rendezvous With Redemption

In my counselling, I seek always to establish what a person's "root" position is in spiritual terms. Without this, spiritual counsel is likely to go amiss. It is also an opportunity for a minister to witness -- the most natural moment to get to spiritual basics. Here's one example among many: I met with a woman who was struggling against poverty. On the face of it, her problem was depression. I asked her: “Why is this happening to you?” She said, “God is punishing me.” At sixteen, she said, she had left her home to come to the city, and she had become wayward. Our conversation led to her committing her life to Christ -- with eagerness. OBSERVATION: I think that, with prayer, one receives God's gracious help with questions such the above. This was, after all, the "breakthrough question".

No comments: