Friday, April 29, 2016

Rumour Bombardment

Around the close of my urban ministry, the Church was bombarded with false rumours about me. I placed no less than sixteen rumours -- or clusters of rumours -- on record with attorneys, and I noted: "Several of these rumours should or could mean dismissal of a minister." Someone, or some people, were doing serious work. But who? In most cases, the source or sources of the rumours could not be traced. In a few cases, there were accusations and counter accusations as to where they originated. But in some cases, the sources were known -- which is, people had stated the rumours as fact, in writing, as if they were their own. My attorneys wrote a letter to one such person, an office-bearer of the Church, to impress upon him (five pages) the seriousness of the matter. He did not respond. OBSERVATION: Rumours destroy ministry and damage the Church, but often are treated with impassiveness by people who should speak up.

No comments: