Monday, May 9, 2016

Free Agency

Yesterday I gave an interesting article the editorial eye. Recent scientific research shows that we make decisions before we are aware of it. What then should we make of this? In my Society metaphysic, I looked to motivational theory. We know now that we are motivated by the unexpected -- which is, when we hold up our expectations to the world and the world appears different. For example, I look out of the window, and I see my little girl with her face in the grass. I jump into action. This could mean that our decisions are determined by expectations we have crafted earlier. Which sounds a lot like orthodox theology: "Free agency is the power to decide according to our character" (Charles Hodge). In that case, people may be responsible for their actions even if they cannot help themselves.

No comments: