Tuesday, June 21, 2016

A Huge Difference

A while ago, I briefly noted in a blog postscript that I was advised that there "seems to have been a fraud" with regard to the payout that my old Church, Sea Point Evangelical Congregational Church, made to me on parting. It seems to have been a fraud, to be specific, on the basis of a description of what happened, by an elder of the neighbouring Christian Life Camps Bay. The Church Constitution states simply:
• The Church's income and property are not distributable to its Members and Office-Bearers, except as reasonable compensation for services rendered ... [They] do not have any rights in the property or other assets ...
However the elder, who was one of the persons centrally involved in the payout, stated:
• It was my firm that recommended ... the best manner of dealing with the massive donation that was being made to you from the proceeds of the property sale ... [which was] a gift from an employer ...
This is self-explanatory. But the agreement was that I receive reasonable compensation on my parting. So I asked the elder's firm Tax Monitor to see my files. They refused. I asked the Receiver of Revenue to see my files. They refused. I asked the Church's (then) attorneys to see the signatures which, in terms of the Church Constitution, needed to be there. They refused. People respond with shock when they hear of the refusals. OBSERVATION: But what difference could it make? According to attorneys, a huge difference, in various ways. Actually, everything should be independently reviewed.

No comments: