Thursday, June 9, 2016

Too Important To Be Good

I attended a Bible study last night, where a bishop asked: "Share a time when you desired something good, but it became too important to you and began to rule you." A monumental example in my life is a ten-year ministry in the "provincial" city of Port Elizabeth. I started there with a small congregation sitting on plastic seats in a hall. I wanted the Church to thrive. I wanted it to become an "established" Church. It is the story of many a minister. My success was all that I could have dreamed of -- properties were bought and sold, a new sanctuary rose, more staff were hired, there were people everywhere, collection plates were piled high, and I was invited to take on two consulent ministries besides -- but after six years I burnt out. For the next four years, I was just trying to get through. Surprisingly, the Church continued its upward trend all the way. My story was published once, in Christian Living Today.

No comments: