Friday, January 6, 2017

Delayed Investigation

At the close of my city ministry, I was advised in writing to lay criminal charges in connection with what (ostensibly) the Church set before me – by the Human Rights Commission, among others. On 24 October last year, I finally followed the advice I received. My motivation, I wrote, was the rule of law, religious freedom, a record of our times. Now in the very nature of the charges, one could expect unusual dynamics. Not long after, in fact, it seemed to me that the case was not on track. Failing to obtain a copy of police process from the police, I approached a civic organisation. This week they got back to me. A case is “assigned immediately ... for investigation”. Mine was nowhere for more than 60 days after registration – according to the record. In fact I have never come across a case (among many) that took so long to be assigned. An investigator was appointed on 30 December.

No comments: