Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Church Disaster

My Karoo Church suffered a great disaster. First, a rare storm hit the Church, and ripped the roof apart. I took the photo yesterday. But for that, everything would have continued evenly. However, given the massive damage, someone outside the situation blundered in, perhaps meaning to do it all better, but they did it in such a way as to
• lose the Church Council,
• lose the Church’s insurance, and
• lose a thriving congregation.
OBSERVATION: I do not (yet) have a clear picture. Important to me is this: I like to be secure in “how I am situated” in a Church. In this Church, in terms of my call, I have not had any control of the Church. I am called to spiritual ministry. It is not my place to walk in and take charge, not even in disaster. I am, as ever, on good terms with the Church Council, on good terms with the congregation, and I am always available to help. Notice incidentally how the storm revealed weak and cheap construction. The building was raised “single-handedly”, so to speak, by a predecessor, a cousin of former State President F.W. de Klerk. My feeling about all this: “You know ... really!” People. It is very sad. And wife E, in response, sang hymns.

POSTSCRIPT: The Church may not have lost the insurance.

No comments: